Information Security Is Our Responsibility
Keeping the Internet safe and secure is a responsibility we all share .
As digital citizens, we are getting better about consistently protecting ourselves, our devices, and our family and friends. However, the Internet is always “on,” so we must remain vigilant and continue to connect with care in order to protect our mobile devices — including laptops, tablets, smartphones, and wearable technology — as well as our personal information.
- Protect your device. Add a passcode to your cell phone, tablet, or laptop right now!
- Use strong passwords or passphrases. Especially for online banking and other important accounts.
- Enable multifactor authentication. Wherever possible, enable multifactor authentication, which helps secure your accounts by requiring hardware or biometrics in addition to your password.
- Check your social media settings. Review your social media security and privacy settings frequently. Enable two-step verification whenever possible.
- Educate yourself. Stay informed about the latest technology trends and security issues such as malware and phishing.
- Get trained. Contact your institution’s IT, information security, or privacy office for additional resources and training opportunities.